We support experts who will contribute to
Academia and Industry through Physics
Application Requirements and Guidelines for the JSR Fellowship 2021
Department of Physics, Graduate School of Science, The University of Tokyo
※The recruitment for 2021 is closed.
Department of Physics, Graduate School of Science, the University of Tokyo and JSR Corporation signed the comprehensive partnership agreement on 25 February, 2020 and JSR fellowship has been established under the agreement targeting the doctoral students of Department of Physics, Graduate School of Science, the University of Tokyo. The fellowship is designed to develop the students to be able to demonstrate leadership in academia and industry after obtaining PhDs and it does not attach conditions on specific research areas and career options. The fellowship hopefully provides the doctoral students of the Department of Physics with a comfortable research environment and helps improve the motivation for their future.
2. Eligibility, Terms and Conditions
- Applicants shall be in the first-year of doctoral course at the Department of Physics. The fellowship is held until the end of their 3rd year of doctoral course.
- The doctoral students who belong to Research Fellowship for Young Scientists (DC), WISE Program (FoPM in 2021), and WINGS Program (IGPEES, MERIT, FMSP, GSGC, etc.) and shall continue to belong to the programs that they had been supported by and maintain their activities are also eligible. The students belong to Leading Graduate Courses, WISE Program, and WINGS Program will be referred as Leading students, WISE students, and WINGS students hereafter. Note that successful applicants who decline JSR Fellowship shall not be eligible to accept other company fellowships while they are graduate students.
- The doctoral students who belong to Q-LEAP (Quantum Leap Flagship Program) among students who take or belong to the programs defined separately in Article 3 (Students to be Commissioned) of the Implementation Guideline for TAKUETSU Research Assistant of the University of Tokyo are not eligible.
Successful applicants (CURIE students hereafter) will be awarded the financial incentive or scholarship and the research funds starting from April of the year of award until the end of their 3rd year of doctoral course. Those who are rewarded the financial incentives are also reward the research funds (※1, ※2, ※3).
CURIE students are rewarded the financial incentive of 280k JPY/month (Note 1) and the scholarship of 80k JPY/month (Note 2, Note 3). Additionally, those who are awarded the financial incentive are also awarded the research funds up to 1M JPY/year.
- CURIE students not applicable to Note 2, WISE students and WINGS students will be awarded the financial incentive of 280k JPY/month and the research funds of 1M JPY/year from JSR Fellowship. However, they must decline the financial incentives from WISE Program and WINGS Program and maintain their activities as WISE students and WINGS students.
- CURIE students with Research Fellowship for Young Scientists (DC1/DC2, DC students hereafter) will be awarded the scholarship (80k JPY/month). Although JSR Fellowship shall not grant the research funds to them, it supports DC students separately if necessary (※2, ※3).
- If a person selected as CURIE student is hired as a DC student in the middle of the hired year, it will continue as Note 2.
- CURIE students are rewarded the financial incentive of 280k JPY/month and the research funds up to 1M JPY/year until the end of their 3rd year of doctoral course.
- Even during the fellowship, if research activities of CURIE students are found not sufficient, they are excluded from JSR Fellowship. They are no longer eligible to be awarded even if they are still graduate students.
- Even during the fellowship, if research activities of CURIE students are found not sufficient, they are excluded from JSR Fellowship and the payment of the financial incentive and the research funds will be terminated.
- When WISE students, and WINGS students are awarded from JSR Fellowship, they must maintain their activities as WISE students and WINGS students and they are in line with the course requisites, the application to DC1 and DC2 of JSPS, and so forth.
- CURIE students must give their research reports at research workshops with JSR Corporation.
- CURIE students must actively participate in Teaching Assistant.
- Co-supervisor system will be adopted and co-supervisors shall interview CURIE students every quarter except in cases of WISE students, and WINGS students.
5. How to Apply
(1) Application Period
※The recruitment for 2021 is closed.
Applicants shall submit the application documents specified in the following section 6 (1) and (2). Submit (1) via email to CURIE Admin at Physics Department Office (curie_admin[at]phys.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp *Replace [at] with @.) from 2 March 2021 to 8 March 2021. CURIE Admin will acknowledge receipt of email in 24 hours (the following Monday if weekend is included). If not, applicants must contact CURIE Admin Office immediately.
(2) Number of Applicants to be Awarded
2 students of the first year of doctoral course.
6. Application Documents
- JSR Fellowship Application Form (Application Form will not be returned to applicants.)
Applicants shall convert the file to PDF and submit via Email.
- Opinion of Supervisor
After successfully selected, you will be required to submit the following documents.
Please do not send them when applying.
Successful Applicants must provide the following documents
(Use the designated forms for those marked with*.)
(A): Resume* (Signature and face photo are not necessary.) One
(B): Photocopy of Student ID Card One
(C): Request Form for Salary Bank Account Transfer* One
(D): Either one of the Application for Change in Exemption for Dependents of Employment Income Earner* or Application for 乙 (Otsu)* (not necessary once submitted before this year)
(E): A Complete Set of Documents Related to Individual Number (Enclose the documents in a securely sealed envelope with your name and student ID number on it. You need not submit these documents once you submitted to the university before.) (1) Photocopy of Individual Number; (2) Photocopy of Student ID Card, Passport, etc.; and (3) Consent Form of Individual Number Use, also Registration Statement*
- Students specified below are also allowed to apply for JSR Fellowship: those who are receiving other research incentives, scholarships, who are a research assistant (RA), or who are receiving any similar financial supports. However, if successfully selected, applicants must decline those supports. In this case, precisely declare the following in the corresponding field of the application form: the name of the system from which you are receiving financial assistance, the amount of money you are currently receiving or the monthly amount to be received, and the scheduled period of assistance. Applicants or their supervisors or the supporting organizations may be contacted for details if necessary.
- You must submit the JSR Fellowship Report (Form 2) yearly.
- If you have been disqualified for this system or if you decide to cancel your commissioned academic research work for your personal reasons, notify the fellowship organizer immediately. In addition, if there is a problem with the progress of academic research work or attitude or behavior toward the work, we may change the contents of the commission or to cancel it even in the middle of the commissioning period. In this case, also submit the JSR Fellowship Report (Form 2) to CURIE Admin Office.
- This fellowship is handled as employment income under the Income Tax Act. Please carry out the prescribed procedures such as final tax return if necessary.
- Please note that you are not able to receive a dependent deduction under the Income Tax Act and need to be removed from the status as dependent of your parent's health insurance. Please follow the appropriate procedures.
7. Selection and When to Expect a Decision on Application
Committees shall be established at the Department of Physics to screen and select on the basis of submitted applications and the result of selection will be notified by 19 March 2021.
The fellowship begins in April 2021, and monthly payment shall be made in the following month to the bank account of CURIE students. How and when the research funds to be payed will be notified separately.
The above conditions may be changed due to the budget.
19 February 2021
CURIE Administration Office
curie_admin[at]phys.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp *Replace [at] with @
03-5841- 5304 [Extension: 25304]